Why Should I Quit Smoking?
There are many important reasons to Stop Smoking
but here are some you might not have thought of.
Why should you quit smoking?
You will likely live longer and feel better. You’ll have more energy and endurance.
Quitting will reduce your risks for heart attack, heart disease, stroke, or many types of cancer.
The people and pets in your life will be healthier.
Need more reasons to stop lighting up?
- Smoking is the #1 preventable cause of premature death in the United States
- 430,700 American lives are claimed each year due to smoking-related diseases, making it the #1 killer overall.
- In the U.S. smoking kills more people than cocaine, heroine, alcohol, fire, automobile accidents, homicides, suicides, and AIDS combined.
- Cigarettes contain at least 43 individual cancer-causing chemicals.
- Smoking is directly responsible for 90% of all lung cancers and 60% of lung cancer victims die within one year.
- Secondhand smoke is responsible for 3,000 lung cancer deaths annually in U.S. nonsmokers.
- Smoking triples the risk of dying from heart disease among middle-aged men and women.
- Smoking inhibits the flow of blood throughout the body and can result in impotence, asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, colds and ear infections.
- Smoking during pregnancy accounts for 20 – 30% of low birth weight infants, and up to 14% of premature births.
- Infants exposed to smoking are at a higher risk of dying from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
Breaking the Habit
Here are some tips to make quitting easier, even if you are a long-time smoker:
- Get rid of all your cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays since you will no longer need them. Make a big deal out of this ritual and celebrate your new smoke-free life.
- Only tell your family and friends about your plans if they are NON-smokers. Other smokers might want you to remain a part of their ‘team’! You will need their encouragement when you feel the urge to light up. If you have a family member that smokes maybe you could quit together.
- Write down one or two of the most important reasons why you want to quit smoking on a 3×5 card. Carry it with you for frequent reference.
- If you smoked in the car, get your car cleaned out or install an air freshener.
- Consider several enjoyable, productive or meaningful activities you like to do besides smoking. Then choose an activity from this list to do instead of lighting up.
- Change your routine. Use a different route to work. Drink tea instead of coffee. Eat breakfast in a different place.
- Be sure to get some exercise every day. Exercise is essential for feeling better, improving spirits, and keeping in shape.
- Drink a lot of water and other low calorie fluids.
- Schedule a dental appointment.
- Keep a diary of your quitting experience. Refer to it when you are tempted to smoke.
If you think you can or if you think you can't... you're RIGHT!
When we change our thinking, beliefs, and behaviors we change our life!
Hypnosis is one of the most powerful tools to change your life
Contact one of our amazing Hypnotherapists below TODAY!
Contact us directly or fill in form below
with any questions you may have...
Serving the entire San Diego area including: El Cajon, La Mesa, Santee, Lemon Grove, Carlsbad, Chula Vista, Bonita, Coronado, Del Mar, Poway, Encinitas, Escondido, National City, Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos, La Jolla, Pacific Beach, Imperial Beach, and Solana Beach